Monday, February 28, 2011

I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore review

In the beginning they were a group of nine. Nine aliens who left their home planet of Lorien when it fell under attack by the evil Mogadorian. Nine aliens who scattered on Earth. Nine aliens who look like ordinary teenagers living ordinary lives, but who have extraordinary, paranormal skills. Nine aliens who might be sitting next to you now.

The Nine had to separate and go into hiding. The Mogadorian caught Number One in Malaysia, Number Two in England, and Number Three in Kenya. All of them were killed. John Smith, of Paradise, Ohio, is Number Four. He knows that he is next.

I AM NUMBER FOUR is the thrilling launch of a series about an exceptional group of teens as they struggle to outrun their past, discover their future—and live a normal life on Earth.

I AM NUMBER FOUR.
I AM NEXT.



 I must say that this book left me wanting to read the next one. I did love it, but I also didn't. This was one of those strange books where I was torn between. I graduated college with a degree in English, so there are those books out there that just bother me in terms of grammar. This was one of those books, but the premise was amazing. I worked my way past that irritation of grammatical errors to see the true beauty of this book. 

If any of you out there are fans of the T.V. show Roswell, then this book will definitely wet your palate. Number Four (or John Smith) only is trying to survive on earth, bidding his time until he can return home. Nine Loriens came to earth and now three are dead. John Smith knows he is next, but the question remains as to whether he can escape the Mogadorian. 

Although the tense this book was written in gave me a headache sometimes, I was completely enthralled with the characters and how real they were. I felt like I could be in the same school as these kids. I'll be a T.V. nerd here again and ask, did anyone else think that Mark James was like Kyle Valenti from Roswell?

................SPOILER ALERT...................


Although the characters were believable and the fighting scenes were phenomenal, I thought that Sarah believed John way too fast. She was still in love with him even though he said, "Hey I'm not from here. I am an alien." She should have been outraged, crazed, something. Not "I love you more" and "Don't leave me." I didn't find that part of the book very appeasing. As soon as she accepted what was happening I had to do a double take. I felt that the story could have been made more complex by this. 



.............END SPOILER ALERT.............

 
I would definitely recommend this book, and I am certainly going to go see the movie that is in theaters right now. I love sci-fi and the way that Pittacus Lore has written this book makes it appealing for both adults and teens. We all were out of place at some point in time and we can all relate to how John feels every time he moves to a new town. 





GRADE
B+
Book Stats:

Genre: Sci-fi, Young Adult
Hardback: 440 pages
Publisher: HarperCollins
Language: English
ISBN:  0061969559






HAPPY READING ~ MIA


No comments:

Post a Comment